Silk Ribbon embroidery part 2

ImageThis is my second attempt with silk ribbon embroidery. To do this project project, I had to : do regular thread embroidery ( the leaves, pot, and yellow ribbon), fabric painting and actual silk embroidery.

I am still learning and discovering this gorgeous method of embroidery. Unfortunately, I find it a bit time consuming and due to the expensive nature of buying the silk ribbons, I cannot work in haste but have to really plan my project beforehand.

Here’s how I decided on this project. I had bought a kit that came along with the design already painted on the cloth along with the appropriate ribbons and threads. After I bought it, it was lying in my room for a while. When I did open it a month or so ago, I was surprised to see the actual size of the printed painting on the cloth. It was too small! I couldn’t understand how the maker, a well-known silk ribbon embroiderer, would have wanted for the flowers of 13mm to fit on that tiny canvas. I was left with no choice but to paint a replica on another piece of cloth. Sadly, I did not exactly choose the right fabric, it was a bit late for me to realise that I shouldn’t have worked on the voile. See, mistakes galore when you start on any creative work! Here’s a photo of the printed geraniums and the dimensions I chose to work out on, placed side by side.

ImageImage  Next step, I took out my fabric paints and coloured all over except the flowers, since I only needed the space to be indicated around the flowers. Also, if I had painted flowers, when I did stitch on my flowers, the painting underneath would not have looked nice.

Image  Now came the part for me to make the flowers. I understood something. It is really not easy when you have to learn complicated stitches like this from a book. After having completed my first silk ribbon embroidery, I thought I was confident in trying other flower forms from a book. This particular flower form was quite complicated for me. Here’s the flower shape shown below in the book.

Image

ImageWhew!! This was the toughest part for me. I am happy only with the very last flower that I stitched, because it was only then that I finally started to get the hang of it. But all in all, I forgive myself because I had to learn from a book. I have filled up the flower centers using 2mm ribbons and yellow thread, using the french knot stitches. Below I’ve added some buds. When I got to the part of embroidering over the leaves, I almost heaved sighs of relief. This was a part I didn’t have to stress over at all, and after that I came to enjoy the project a lot.

Image

Image

ImageImage

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Silk Ribbon embroidery part 2

  1. Gorgeous work! I have thought about trying silk ribbon embroidery but have not attempted it yet. Thank you for providing details about your process with this project!

  2. That looks faboulous!!
    I’ve always wanted to learn silk ribbon embrodiery, it’s on my list for one day, but this post gets me excited about it all over again 🙂

    • Hello! I am glad you liked my posts, and this one about silk ribbon. Yes, I find it a bit challenging yet extremely satisfying!! Your blog seems very interesting too! 🙂

      • Thanks! It’s fun to see what results when you start crafting! 😀

  3. Beautiful! Very impressed with the end result, especially considering you repainted it. (!) The addition of the buds and the yellow ribbon around the pot really give it dimension.

    • Thank you for your compliment! Yes, with the little bit of paint work that this project required, I also understood that paintwork and embroidery isn’t a bad idea too! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s